Grievance Redressal Forums
According to Sec 42(5) of the Electricity Act, 2003, Distribution Licensees are to establish Forum for Redressal of Grievances of the consumers in accordance with
the guideline as specified by the State Commission.
Filing a Complaint at GRF
A complainant aggrieved by any action or lack of action by the engineer under the OERC Distribution (Condition of Supply) Code, 2004, may file a complaint in
writing before the Forum for the redressal of his grievances after expiring of 15 days from the time limit fixed by the licensees in their Complaint Handling
Procedure. The said complaint shall be in writing and the Forum may not insist any format for such filing. Few examples of the nature of the complaint are
- New Connection
- Disconnection/Reconnection of Supply
- Voltage fluctuation
- Contract demand/Connected load
- Billing disputes (except penal bill u/s 126 of the Electricity Act, 2003)
- Metering (except dispute regarding accuracy of the matter)
- Classification/Re-classification of consumer
- Shifting of service connection/Diversion of lines and shifting of equipment
- Transfer of consumer ownership
- Agreement/Termination of agreement
- Security deposit
- Installation of equipment and apparatus of the consumer
- System of supply including guaranteed standards of performance.
The Forum shall entertain those complaints, which are under its territorial and statutory jurisdiction. The Forum shall not generally entertain any complaint,
which under the Electricity Act, 2003, is required to be disposed-off by the other authorities like Appellate Authority, Adjucating Officer, Electrical
Inspector, the Commission, Appellate Tribunal for Electricity, Special Court, Arbitrator etc. However, the Forum may send back the complaint to the
appropriate authority with suitable remarks, if any.
A person, aggrieved by Assessment order passed under Sec. 126 of the Electricity Act, 2003 for unauthorized use of electricity, should not file his complaint
before the Forum. Rather, he should appeal to Appellate Authority under Sec. 129 of the Act.
The Forum may not insist on any format for filing of complaints and may seek necessary information as detailed below from the complainant for quick disposal
of the complaint, if not provided.
- The name and detailed address of the complainant.
- The local office, designation and detailed address of the officer, against whose action/inaction, the complaint is being filed.
- The facts of the complaint (may enclose copy of the latest representation to the concerned officer of the Licensee; action taken or
- Relief sought for.
- Any interim relief sought for, pending final decision.
The Forum shall decide the complaint expeditiously and shall communicate its decision to the Complainant within a period not exceeding 45 days of the receipt
of the Complaint by the Forum. The Forum shall give the reasons in support of its decisions.
The Commission shall have the general power of superintendence and control over the Forum and the Forum shall duly comply with such directions as the
Commission may issue from time to time.